Well, this is really a sort of bringing up the rear exercise, but hopefully I will catch up…………………this is my January cake!
My daughter who also has a blog mentioned that a number of local bloggers were participating in a ‘Cake a Month’ posting. The only stipulation was……….it had to be a cake you had never baked before. That sounded easy enough I have a mountain of recipes I want to try out, so out came the first of 12.
Me, being an Elvis fan from way back, my first cake had to be………
The Elvis Presley Cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice (40g)
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (250g tub)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar (castor sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Prepare cake according to instructions on package. Bake in a 9×13 inch pan. Allow to cool.
- Combine pineapple and sugar in saucepan. Bring to a boil. Spoon over cooled cake.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Add vanilla. Add pecans and mix well.
- Spread cream cheese frosting over cake.
I used Ina Paarman’s Vanilla cake mix (South Africa).
I also used less sugar in my Pineapple Sauce than required, I only used 1 cup, next time I will drain off some of the pineapple juice, the sauce was too runny. I poured my sauce on while my cake was still warm and in the tin for it to be absorbed into the sponge.
With regards to the Cream Cheese Frosting I only used 1 cup of sugar, 4 seemed way too much.
I baked mine in a round 20cm springform cake tin.
recipe adapted from allrecipes
Absolutely delicious, even better chilled in the fridge. Any more sugar and we would all have joined Elvis pelting out heavenly arias!
And…………………if you are wondering at the name……..I really have not got a clue why.
P.S. sorry the photos are not up to the Food Photography shots on the professional foodblogs, but I am quite keen to do my own, please bear with me.